Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Online Reputation: Kaelyn Loveless


To: Kaelyn Loveless, Fellow Classmate

From: Ashton Henderson, Member of Technical and Professional Writing

Subject: Online Personal Information Analysis

Date: September 27, 2016

Kaelyn I have been very surprised by the investigation I performed this last week. I began by searching for you on Google and started with your first and last name, as well as Utah. The first hit that came up was a site with information on whom I am assuming is your father. This article can be found here, and it actually lists you as one of his dependents. From this site I noticed you are from South Jordan, Utah. This was exciting to me, because I am also from South Jordan. My search then took me to Facebook where I easily found you, because of all of the friends we have in common. From your Facebook profile I learned you are one of four children, with two sisters and one brother. It looks to me, you are the oldest or the second oldest in your family. I also learned your middle name is Nicole. It is not often you see a person’s full name on Facebook, so it made me think your middle name must have great meaning to you. This information can be seen here and the picture included shows a picture of the whole Loveless family.


On your Facebook page I found some other interesting information. It appears you attended Bingham High School, just like I did. I believe you graduated in 2014, so you are a year younger than I am. It appeared you were very active in high school with dances and other school activities. I concluded my search on Facebook and my third step was then to return to Google where I searched your first and last name as well as Bingham High School. This search pulled several different links all discussing soccer. It seems you played soccer for Bingham High and were on the varsity team at some point. Max Preps provided information from the 2013 season. Kaelyn I discovered you played defense and you were number fourteen. You actually played with one of my really good friends, Madison Loftus. Overall it appears your team had a successful season and finished 28th overall in the state of Utah. Unfortunately I was only able to find information on your senior season at Bingham, but I enjoyed the information I did find. Congratulations on a successful career of athletics at Bingham, I know there is an extra emphasis put on Bingham athletes and it’s an honor to be one.

As I searched for you again on Google, an interesting link appeared about five headings from the top. I opened it to find it was an event sheet for an LDS mission farewell you said you would be attending. This took my search back to your Facebook page where I discovered you are a member of the LDS church. I thought this was really impressive without being a friend of yours on your social media platforms, I could see your religious affiliations. To me this shows you are a dedicated member and have no problem sharing such things. I could also see this was not the only mission farewell you had attended, and you must be very supportive of your friends and their choices. I was also impressed you shared this on your Twitter and Instagram accounts. In your condensed personal biographies you clearly state your religious group and openly your beliefs. I thought this was very admirable. A tweet about your graduation from the Bingham LDS seminary can be found here



From these two other social media platforms I was able to find that you are actually a Utah State Ambassador and a cosmetologist. I was surprised  I could not find more on the fact that you are a Utah State Ambassador, but this may be because you are newer to USU. For the future, I would recommend you make information about your time and work as a Utah State Ambassador more available, because this is such a powerful experience you have taken part in. This opportunity will someday be a great resume addition for you and I am sure you will want to share it with those who will be looking to hire you. Throughout this entire process I have really enjoyed being able to get to know you, Kaelyn, and learn some things about you. It is amazing to me we can be from the same home town and go to the same high school, but know virtually nothing about one another. From all I can see, all of your profiles and links on the internet are clean and well kept. You should have no problems if a future employer of any kind were to search for you on the web. I hope you have found this information to be beneficial to you.
                                                                                            
Ashton Henderson 

3 comments:

  1. Ashton, I enjoyed how you wrote out this memo. I thought it was useful to have the hotlinks in there as well so anyone reading it could pull the information up quickly. I liked how you summarized everything at the end by saying that no one would find any issues online if they looked her up. You also gave some very helpful advice at the end by suggesting she puts more online about her being an ambassador. This was an awesome blog post, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked this memo. I like how you added applicable titles and wrote it with ways you would reference the experience she has that may not be as highlighted on search engines, like her work with USUSA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting and impressive post. First, I really liked the ways that you searched out the information. You used a few ways that I never really thought of. second I enjoyed the conversation that you created within the post. The connection that you created between you and Kaelyn was an interesting point that helped to create a more personal post. I also liked how you were positive and gracious through out the post, pointing out good traits and accomplishments. good job.

    ReplyDelete