Thursday, January 28, 2016

Most Used Platforms

Is it mind blowing to anybody else, how many social media platforms there are floating around in the ominous World Wide Web? Maybe ominous isn’t the right word to use, because social media truly can be an incredible thing, but then again it is so vast. For me it is like the ocean with deep dark unknowns that I probably will never know anything about. Today I have decided to discuss two social media platforms. One I use daily and the other I hardly know anything about, but have always wanted to explore.

Snapchat
Snapchat has become part of my everyday life, unfortunately even my hourly life. I find myself checking it way more often than I would like to admit. Snapchat is defined on


as being, “a photo-sharing service with one key distinguishing feature: the photos you send disappear.” It then goes on to discuss the feature of a screenshot and how you can capture a picture if you are the receiver, but the sender is automatically informed. The main focus of snapchat that I want to focus on is the limited time allotted to capture something, and that it then disappears from the recipient’s device. I will later contrast this with the second platform I will be discussing, Vine. Snapchat allows its user to take pictures or video clips that can last anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. This ingenious service, to me just brings texting to life. I find that I “snap” my close friends and family far more than I text them anymore. For me this is because I can actually see the person I am talking to and I feel that I really am engaging in a conversation with them. The article goes on to call snapchat a form of “ephemeral communication” or just a brief communication. They use this term because of the short time the image or video can be seen, but are the effects of such communication really just brief? Or do we feel a deeper connection to those we are communicating with, because we can actually see them? This by no means even compares to face to face contact, but it’s just a little food for thought.

Vine
According to


as of January 2016 Vine ranks as the 10th most popular social media platform with 42,000,000 monthly visitors. I was actually really surprised by this statistic, especially since Snapchat didn’t even end up in the top 15. I know that from my experience, Vine was a huge thing when I was in high school. I don’t hear too much about it anymore, but I don’t know if that’s just because we all grew up and moved on, or because it’s becoming outdated. As I said before, I know what vine is, but I have never been a big user myself.


is a site designated to inform parents about what social media sites their children may be using and what exactly they are using. Vine is a platform where six second videos can be posted to an individual’s profile for anyone to see. This differs from snapchat in time and the number of people who can see it. This is also dependent on profile privacy settings, but are those settings actually legitimate anyway? Vine is similar to Snapchat in the fact that the post is at the publisher’s discretion and unfortunately nearly anything can be posted. In my personal opinion I do believe that vine has more overall mature content, whereas Snapchat is really just dependent on the sender and receiver.


Although these tools can be used for communications and creative expression, there are risks that can come from any social media site. So always be cautious with what you are sending, receiving and looking into. Let’s make the World Wide Web a little less creepy and a little more creative. 

1 comment:

  1. Your article was interesting to me because I have never used Snapchat or Vine. It was interesting to read about the differences in the two, and also the similarities. I know my kids use Snapchat quite a bit and have fun with it. I am learning a lot about social media platforms in this class and may get brave enough to venture out of my comfort zone and try Snapchat. Boy, wouldn't my kids be surprised to get a pic from me?

    ReplyDelete